TALB and the District have reached a tentative agreement on contract negotiations. The agreement includes a 5% retroactive salary increase, improves coverage for employee vehicle damage while on District business, and class size reduction at schools identified with students of greatest need.
K-12 and CDC/Head Start - SALARY INCREASE:
- 5% increase to bargaining unit salary schedules, career increments (longevity), stipends, and rates of pay retroactive to July 1st, 2014.
K-12 DAYS AND HOURS:
- Language allowing Kindergarten teachers to choose to work with Kindergarten students or in other classrooms.
- New Documentation of Mandatory Meeting Form and submission procedure effective July 1st, 2015.
- Teachers working on a job-share contract must be permanent status.
K-12 and CDC/Head Start – HEALTH AND WELFARE BENEFITS – EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1ST 2016:
- Change the health and welfare plan year from the current calendar year (January 1st – December 31st) to match the District’s fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th).
- Open enrollment shall take place in May of each year with all plan changes being effective on July 1st.
- PPO Comprehensive Major Medical
- Moderate increase in deductible and out of pocket limits – NO monthly premium co-payment.
- PPO Comprehensive Major Medical
K-12 and CDC/Head Start – SAFETY CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- While on District business, in the event an employee’s vehicle is damaged as a result of vandalism or theft, the District will reimburse the employee for the insurance deductible payment in an amount not to exceed $500 per incident.
K-12 CLASS SIZE AND STAFFING RATIOS:
- Reduced class size in Kindergarten and Grades 1-3 at sites determined by the District through the Board of Education’s LCAP (Local Control Accountability Plan), which considers schools with the highest concentration of students on the Free and Reduced Lunch Program, English Language Learners, students in foster care, and students classified as homeless, as specified under the Governor’s Local Control Funding Formula.
- Adjust special education class size average for the district from 12 to 14. The maximum class size remains at 18. Meetings with the Assistant Superintendent of School Support Service will be held 4X a year to assess the current special day class average and maximums.
- Contract runs through June 30th, 2015, when the entire contract is opened for negotiations.
This Tentative Agreement brings 8% to the salary increase over the past two years. Health Benefits have remained whole with no monthly premium co-payment. This contract also expands coverage for damage incurred to a member’s vehicle while on duty. Finally, the Governor’s Local Control Funding Formula is providing class size reduction for some of our most challenging and neediest of students.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
IS THE 5% SALARY INCREASE RETROACTIVE TO THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR?
DOES THE 5% SALARY INCREASE APPLY TO ALL SALARY SCHEDULES, ANNUAL CAREER INCREMENTS, RATES OF PAY, AND STIPENDS?
WHEN WILL WE GET OUR RETRO CHECK?
If the Tentative Agreement is ratified by the TALB membership, the District reports that the salary retro checks should be reflected by the end of February.
WHY WAS THERE A CHANGE FROM A “CALENDAR” YEAR TO A “FISCAL” YEAR FOR HEALTH PLAN?
This is an administrative change and doesn’t directly impact rates or costs. However, it does make it easier for the Health Benefits Committee to get feedback and, if necessary, approval from TALB members on all future health benefit decisions.
WHY WERE THERE CHANGES TO THE PPO DEDUCTIBLES AND OUT-OF-POCKET?
If plan design changes (such as these) were not implemented by January 1st 2016, a monthly premium co-payment would have resulted for TALB members enrolled in the PPO plan. The changes to the deductible and out of pocket were more cost effective for those enrolled in the PPO plan.
WHICH SCHOOLS WILL GET CLASS SIZE REDUCTION IN KINDERGARTEN THROUGH 3RD GRADE?
Schools with a high concentration of students on the Free and Reduced Lunch Program, English Language Learners, students in foster care, and students classified as homeless, as specified under the Governor Jerry Brown’s Local Control Funding Formula, can be designated for class size reduction. Ultimately, LBUSD’s Board of Education, through approval of Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP), will decide which schools will implement class size reduction.
WHY WAS THE SPECIAL EDUCATION DAY CLASS AVERAGE FOR THE DISTRICT CHANGED FROM 12 TO 14?
The maximum class size remains the same as it has been, at 18. The resulting change in class size average and the implementing language holds the District more accountable to the average; will create more balanced classes; and will contribute towards limiting Special Education encroachment, whereby costs in Special Education result in reduction to the General Fund budget.
WHO IS ON THE TALB BARGAINING TEAM?
Thanks to the TALB Bargaining Team:
Bargaining Chair: Barry Welsch – Jordan H.S.
Bargaining Team Members:
Corrin Hickey – Lakewood H.S., Mark Ennen – Newcomb K-8, Donna Gerren – Washington M.S., Maritza Summers – Mann E.S., Kevin Quinn – Edison E.S., Sybil Baldwin-Perry – CDC, & Patria Daliva – Head Start.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THE TALB MEMBERSHIP REJECTS THE TENTATIVE AGREEMENT?
The terms of the Tentative Agreement won’t take effect and we will return to the bargaining table and continue negotiations. However, there is a concern that less money will be on the table for raises.
SHOULD I VOTE IN FAVOR OF THE TENTATIVE AGREEMENT?
Each TALB member must make their own assessment of how to vote, but we strongly encourage every member to vote. The Bargaining Team recommends a YES vote on the agreement.
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
Thursday, December 4th @ 3:30p.m. at Longfellow Elementary, 3800 Olive Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90807.
Tentative Agreement Vote
Thursday, December 4th @ Longfellow Elementary- 3:30p.m.-4:30p.m. - General Membership Meeting for questions on Tentative Agreement.
Monday, December 8th - Voting Materials distributed to Membership.
Tuesday, December 9th through Thursday, December 11th - Voting to take place at sites.
Friday, December 12th @ 4:30 p.m. – Ballots due at the TALB office – 4362 Atlantic, LB, 90807