SUMMARY DETAILS OF TENTATIVE AGREEMENT
TALB and the District have reached a tentative agreement on contract negotiations. The agreement provides for a retroactive salary, broadens the use of sick leave for the care of family members, adds paternity leave language and continues coverage for an employee’s vehicle being damaged while on District business.
K-12 and CDC/Head Start - SALARY INCREASE:
- 5% increase to bargaining unit salary schedules, career increments (longevity), stipends, and rates of pay retroactive to July 1st, 2015. If ratified, this agreement would bring a cumulative 13% raise over 3 years.
K-12 – Article II - Recognition of Exclusive Representative:
- Include Special Day Class Preschool teachers & Transitional Kindergarten teachers.
K-12 – Article V – Day & Hours: Electronic Grading
- Establish a joint TALB/District Committee to review the use of electronic grading and communication. This group will investigate the implementation of electronic grading (School Loop or other vendor) and recommend their findings to the Bargaining team for 2016-17 negotiations. The objective of this committee is to look at the feasibility of electronic grading for the 2017-18 school year.
CDC – Head Start – Article V – Day & Hours
- Change of duty day. Head Start teachers will have a thirty (30) minute duty free lunch and have their duty day reduced by thirty (30) minutes. Shorter lunch with a shorter working day, NO impact on compensation.
K-12 and CDC/Head Start – HEALTH AND WELFARE BENEFITS – EFFECTIVE July 1ST 2016:
- Eliminate the lifetime maximum for the PPO of one million dollars ($1,000,000)
- Wellness Program – Recognizing healthier people will drive down the overall costs of insurance the Association and the District are working on developing Wellness Programs to promote healthy lifestyles. In this effort, Weight Watchers will be provided at a pro-rated cost for members and spouses or domestic partners for the 2016-17 school year.
o Weight Watchers Health Solutions Program – with meetings: $18.25 per month.
o Weight Watchers Health Solutions Program – online only: $8.05 per month
- Prescription Drugs - National Formulary – PPO – EFFECTIVE July 1ST 2016 National Formulary includes approximately 500 brand-name products and every generic product. These medications are selected based on clinical quality and cost-effectiveness. The cost of prescriptions drugs continues to escalate. In an effort to mitigate costs and keep insurance expenditures below the District Annual Maximum, this change, to the National Formulary, should save the plan over $500,000.00 a year. This formulary would put certain medications through a step process in which the user and physician will have to demonstrate the efficacy of a non-formulary covered drug. Those few members effected by this change will be contacted by Risk Management.
K-12 and CDC/Head Start – SAFETY CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Effective until July 1, 2017
- While on District business, in the event an employee’s vehicle is damaged as a result of vandalism or theft, the District will reimburse the employee for the insurance deductible payment in an amount not to exceed $500 per incident.
K-12 and CDC/Head Start – Leaves of Absence
- Leaves of Absence with Pay:
Up to six (6) days of accrued and available sick leave may be used to tend to an illness of child, parent, spouse, or registered domestic partner of employee. Enhanced Maternity & Paternity Leave for Child Bonding / Child Care. Modification and improvements for adoption of a child. Judicial Leave pay clarified for “during non-work days”.
- Leaves of Absence without Pay:
Leave may be granted to either or both parents only immediately following maternity/paternity leave for child bonding/child care, including paid adoption leave.
K-12 Article X: Class Size and Staffing Ratios
- Combination 3-4 Class – Maximum of 28 students.
K-12 Article XI: Peer Assistance and Review Program
- Reestablish and revise Peer Assistance and Review Program
CDC – Head Start – Article XI Evaluation
- The CDC / Head Start evaluation committee worked on conforming new evaluation forms, aligning them more appropriately to CDC / Head Start standards. The evaluation procedure has not changed, language has been modified to reflect the use of the new forms. (New Forms attached to the TA).
- Frequency – Contract & program requirements mandate evaluation cycles.
o Heat Start Special Contract Teachers will be formally evaluated annually.
K-12 Article XV Effect of Agreement
- Back to School and Open House will be excluded from the regular waiver process and decided by a site vote.
K-12 Article XV Term of Agreement – CDC – Head Start Article XIV Term of Agreement
- Extend the term to June 30, 2018, reopeners 2016-17, 2017-18 on Article VI Compensation and 3 articles.
K-12 & CDC – Head Start – Appendix A Calendars
- LBUSD & TALB shall collaborate in the development of 2017-18 & 2018-19 school calendars.
K-12 & CDC – Head Start – Appendix B Salaries
- Adjustments for initial placement on salary schedules and salary schedule advancement.
K-12 – Appendix D: National Board Certification
- Change in pre-candidacy support program meetings. Employees who accept designated master teacher status and whose most recent final evaluation is effective in all areas, shall receive the additional five (5) percent of base salary.
K-12 Structured Leadership Roles (MOU)
- Clean up outdated language and positions. Increase in Leadership Differentials.
K-12 Appendix G & CDC Head Start Appendix F District Internet and Electronic Mail Guidelines and Procedures (MOU)
- Updated language for the use of the District’s technology services.
TENTATIVE AGREEMENT – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
IS THE 5% SALARY INCREASE RETROACTIVE TO THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR? Yes.
DOES THE 5% SALARY INCREASE APPLY TO ALL SALARY SCHEDULES, ANNUAL CAREER INCREMENTS, RATES OF PAY, AND STIPENDS? Yes.
WHEN WILL WE GET OUR RETRO CHECK? If the Tentative Agreement is ratified by the TALB membership, the District reports that the salary retro checks should be reflected by the end of March.
WHO IS ON THE TALB BARGAINING TEAM? Bargaining Chair: Corrin Hickey – Lakewood H.S., Bargaining Members: Mark Ennen – Newcomb K-8, Donna Gerren – Harte E.S. & Lee E.S., Gerry Morrison –McBride HS, Maritza Summers – Mann E.S., Kevin Quinn – Edison E.S., Christine Kelly – MacArthur E.S., Sybil Baldwin-Perry – CDC, Maria Garcia – Head Start.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THE TALB MEMBERSHIP REJECTS THE TENTATIVE AGREEMENT? The terms of the Tentative Agreement won’t take effect and we will return to the bargaining table and continue negotiations.
SHOULD I VOTE IN FAVOR OF THE TENTATIVE AGREEMENT? Each TALB member must make their own assessment of how to vote, but we strongly encourage every member to vote. The Bargaining Team recommends a YES vote on the agreement.
Calendar for Ratification
December 10th all Member Q & A meeting at Longfellow Elementary School, 3800 Olive Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90807 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
December 11th – December 16th Ratification Vote – Results Posted Wednesday evening, December 16th.