SUMMARY DETAILS OF TENTATIVE AGREEMENT
COMPENSATION & CONTRACT LANGUAGE
TALB and the District have reached a tentative agreement on the remaining items on the table: compensation and contract language.
K-12 and CDC/Head Start - SALARY INCREASE: 3% increase in compensation.
- 2% increase to bargaining unit salary schedules, career increments (longevity), stipends, and rates of pay retroactive to July 1st, 2016. An additional one time off schedule payment of 1% based on the unit members earnings for the 2016-17 fiscal year (July 1st, 2016 – June 30th, 2017).
K-12 – Article V – Day & Hours: Adjunct Duties
The maximum expectancy for any secondary school teacher shall be twenty (20) hours per semester or forty (40) per year, exclusive of faculty/department meetings.
K-12 – Article V – Day & Hours: Replacement Service
- Replacement service compensation shall increase from Schedule N (substitute rate) to Schedule P (hourly rate).
K-12 – Article V – Day & Hours: Electronic Grading
- At the secondary level, an online gradebook shall be maintained and updated at least each month, or more frequently as determined by the Site Shared Decision Making Committee.
K-12 – Article V – Day & Hours: Year Round Schedules
- Eliminate language regarding year round schools.
K-12 and CDC/Head Start – SAFETY CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- While on District business, in the event an employee’s vehicle is damaged as a result of vandalism or theft, the District will reimburse the employee for the insurance deductible payment in an amount not to exceed $500 per incident.
- Reactivate Safety Committee to address student safety and classroom safety.
K-12 – Article X: Class Size and Staffing Ratios
- The special education special day class annual cumulative average for the District will be a maximum of 14.
K-12 Article XI: Peer Assistance and Review Program (PAR)
- Reestablished and revised Peer Assistance Program.
K-12 Article XII: Evaluation Procedure
- In the event there are no managers with a similar credential available, the evaluatee shall select from a list of LBUSD administrators who currently supervise teachers with the same credential or teaching assignment.
- The evaluation committee will reconvene to develop evaluation forms for non-classroom based unit members (e.g. nurses, teacher librarians, teachers on Special Assignment. Revisit forms for further clarification of overall rating, use of electronic forms/system, use of resource materials and develop an evaluation rubric.
MOU Establishment of Physical Education (PE) Committee
- The committee shall convene to identify and recommend key components to address the equipment/facilities needs that have changed due to new laws, new standards and safety regulations affecting physical education (PE).
Head Start – Article V: Days and Hours of Employment
- The work year for Head Start teachers shall be adjusted.
- The traditional work year for Head Start employees will be 198 days.
- Head Start teachers shall have a minimum of one hundred and fifty (150) minutes of program preparation per week.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) establishing Educare & Early Head Start Program Teachers
- 12 month assignment – 247 days of service.
TENTATIVE AGREEMENT – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
IS THE 2% SALARY INCREASE & 1% OFF SCHEDULE RETROACTIVE TO THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR? Yes.
DOES THE 2% SALARY INCREASE & 1% OFF SCHEDULE APPLY TO ALL SALARY SCHEDULES, ANNUAL CAREER INCREMENTS, RATES OF PAY, AND STIPENDS? Yes.
WHEN WILL WE GET OUR RETRO CHECK? If the Tentative Agreement is ratified by the TALB membership, the District reports that the 2% retroactive pay will be included on the June 16th pay date. On June 23rd the 2% increase in salary will be reflective ongoing. On September 8th the 1% increase off schedule will be paid.
WHO IS ON THE TALB BARGAINING TEAM? Bargaining Chair: Corrin Hickey – Lakewood H.S., Bargaining Members: Mark Ennen – Newcomb K-8, Donna Gerren – Roosevelt E.S. & Lee E.S., Gerry Morrison – McBride HS, Maritza Summers – Mann E.S., Kevin Quinn – Edison E.S., Christine Kelly – MacArthur E.S., Sybil Baldwin – CDC, Maria Garcia – Head Start.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THE TALB MEMBERSHIP REJECTS THE TENTATIVE AGREEMENT? The terms of the Tentative Agreement won’t take effect and we will return to the bargaining table and continue negotiations.
SHOULD I VOTE IN FAVOR OF THE TENTATIVE AGREEMENT? Each TALB member must make their own assessment of how to vote, but we strongly encourage every member to vote. The Bargaining Team recommends a YES vote on the agreement.
Calendar for Ratification
April 4th - 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. All Member Q & A meeting @ TALB Office, 4362 Atlantic Avenue, L.B.
April 5th – April 7th Voting – Deadline to vote, Friday, April 7th @ 4:30 p.m.
April 10th - Ratification Vote Results posted online.