School Climate and Administrator Survey Results
2015 - 2016
**Note 3/4/16: Results here are for the K-12 surveys. The CDC/Head Start surveys are still being compiled.
To see the results for the 2014-15 surveys, click here.
Summary results below for the 2015-16 survey include only school sites and administrators that had at least 50% of members at that site participating in the survey. Some school sites did not have sufficient survey submissions to have the scores tabulated.
This year, we had at least 50% participation for 28 schools (compared to 20 schools last year) and 29 principals (compared to 15 principals last year). Results were published for those schools and principals below.
Scoring and Grading Rubric
All questions in the School Climate survey were based on a 5 point scale with a calculated average score. All questions in the Administrator Survey were based on a 4 point scale with a calculated average score. The grade percentage was calculated by dividing the average score and the total point scale. The letter grade uses the following standard rubric:
F 59% or below
School Climate Survey summary Results
- The count for this year’s school climate grades: 14 C’s and 14 D’s
- This year, the district-wide school climate average was only 3.43 out of a 5.00 scale.
That’s a 68.60% with a D grade.
- 53.2% said that morale was high among teachers at their school site.
- 82% said that they feel safe working at their school site.
- 56% said that they are able to control the temperature in their classroom.
41% said that they are not.
- 28.5% said that they have had an increase in respiratory problems since working at their school site.
- 77% said that they are provided with essential materials in a timely manner.
- 74% said that the District provides adequate access to Professional Development Services.
- 57% said that their site has a shared-decision-making committee comprised mostly of teachers, with authority over non-LCFF site budget decisions.
See individual reports for each school site below.
|School Site||Members||Surveys||Surveys %||Score (of out 5.00)||Score %||Grade|
|LBUSD - District Wide||3506||1264||36.05%||3.43||68.60%||D|
|Buffum Pre-K TLC||38||29||76.32%||3.11||62.20||D|
|Los Cerritos Elementary||19||14||73.68%||3.72||74.40%||C|
|Signal Hill Elementary||34||20||58.82%||3.62||72.40%||C|
Administrator Survey summary Results
- Overall, the administrator scores district-wide this year were higher than last year’s scores. The scores for every question were higher.
- The count for this year’s administrator grades: 5 A’s, 8 B’s, 8 C’s, 7 D’s, 2 F’s
- This year, the district wide administrator average was 3.00 out of a 4.00 scale.
That’s a 75% with a C grade.
- Last year, we had 2 administrators with scores higher than 3.6 (A grade). This year, we have 5 administrators with scores higher than 3.6. Scott Fleming (MacArthur) scored this high for both years.
- Fleming, Scott (MacArthur) – 3.87
- Cox, Joyce (Student Health Services) - 3.84
- Gamboa, Alissa (Los Cerritos) – 3.72
- Nemec, Caroline (Lincoln) – 3.66
- Curran, Mark (Fremont) – 3.65
- Both last year and this year, we had 2 administrators with scores less than 2.3 (F grade). David Costa (Stanford) scored this low for both years.
- 88% said that their administrator consistently respects and follows union contract rights, Ed Code, and governing policies.
- 78% said that their administrator would support them against unwarranted and unfair criticism by parents.
- 72% said that their administrator promotes a positive climate that fosters professionalism, teamwork, and cooperation in the staff.
- About 70% said that their administrator is a good match for their site.
- 61% rated their administrator as either “Effective” or “Distinguished.” 12% rated their administrator as “Unsatisfactory.”
See individual reports for each administrator below.
|Administrator||School Site||Members||Surveys||Surveys %||Score
(out of 4.00)
|Claflin, Wendy||Powell Academy||51||37||72.55%||2.50||62.50%||D|
|Coleman, Veronica||Jordan High||118||66||55.93%||3.35||83.75%||B|
|Cook, Mona||International Elementary||33||17||51.52%||2.66||66.50%||D|
|Cooper, Stephanie||Hoover Middle||34||30||88.24%||2.91||72.75%||C|
|Cornejo, Jeffery||Reid High||8||4||50.00%||3.37||84.25%||B|
|Costa, David||Stanford Middle||48||33||68.75%||2.33||58.25%||F|
|Cox, Joyce||Student Health Services||46||30||65.22%||3.84||96.00%||A|
|Curran, Mark||Fremont Elementary||21||20||95.24%||3.65||91.25%||A|
|Duenas, Armando||Addams Elementary||38||25||65.79%||2.64||66.00%||D|
|Fleming, Scott||MacArthur Elementary||18||18||100%||3.87||96.75%||A|
|Gamboa, Alissa||Los Cerritos Elementary||19||13||68.42%||3.72||93.00%||A|
|Garcia, Miriam||Buffum Pre-K TLC||38||25||65.79%||2.34||58.50%||F|
|Granado, Christi||Lee Elementary||34||24||70.59%||2.80||70.00%||C|
|Gutierrez, Juan||Kettering Elementary||15||12||80.00%||3.48||87.00%||B|
|Howton-Chiles, Nicole||Dooley Elementary||43||22||51.16%||3.40||85.00%||B|
|Jarels, Terri||Cubberley School||44||25||56.82%||3.13||78.25%||C|
|Jespersen, Damon||Prisk Elementary||34||22||64.71%||3.00||75.00%||C|
|Lavelle, Tammy||Signal Hill Elementary||34||20||58.82%||2.80||70.00%||C|
|Madrigal Jr, Salvador||Stephens Middle||38||31||81.58%||3.26||81.50%||B|
|Magee, Connie||Lindbergh Middle||27||14||51.85%||2.43||60.75%||D|
|McKeehan, Donna||Mann Elementary||18||12||66.67%||3.31||82.75%||B|
|Myers-Miller, Damita||Robinson Academy||43||31||72.09%||3.36||84.00%||B|
|Nemec, Caroline||Lincoln Elementary||49||41||83.67%||3.66||91.50%||A|
|Pilar Perossio, Maria||Franklin Middle||47||46||97.87%||2.45||61.25%||D|
|Rockenbach, Steve||McBride High||20||18||90.00%||3.56||89.00%||B|
|Salas, William||Jordan High||118||64||54.24%||2.99||74.75%||C|
|Sigur IV, Edward||Longfellow Elementary||37||28||75.68%||2.92||73.00%||C|
|Tolentino, Clarissa||Roosevelt Elementary||40||30||75.00%||2.54||63.50%||D|
|Uribe, Athena||Birney Elementary||31||18||58.06%||2.76||69.00%||D|
|Wood, Jeffery||Gant Elementary||25||25||100%||2.90||72.50%||C|
Individual Reports for School Sites
LBUSD - District Wide School Climate Report
Buffum Pre-K TLC
Los Cerritos Elementary
Signal Hill Elementary
Individual Reports for Administrators
LBUSD District-Wide Administrator Report
Madrigal Jr, Salvador
Pilar Perossio, Maria
Sigur IV, Edward